Federal Spotlight: Speaker Upmeyer at White House for Infrastructure Meeting
February 15, 2018
President Trump unveiled his infrastructure plan earlier this week, and Iowa’s Speaker of the House Linda Upmeyer (R-Clear Lake) was in attendance, as was the new mayor of Cedar Rapids. President Trump’s infrastructure outline can be read in its entirety here. The six principles of the plan according to the Office of Political Affairs are:
- $200 billion in federal funds to spur at least $1.5 trillion in infrastructure investments with partners at the state, local, tribal and private level.
- New investments will be made in rural America, which has been left behind for too long.
- Decision-making authority will be returned to state and local governments.
- Regulatory barriers that needlessly get in the way of infrastructure projects will be removed.
- Permitting for infrastructure projects will be streamlined and shortened.
- America’s workforce will be supported and strengthened.
ABI’s national partners have been engaged in conversations with the administration and are excited about the commitment to additional infrastructure resources.