Presidential Watch: Cruz becomes first official candidate
March 26, 2015
- U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas announced his candidacy on Tuesday and becomes the first candidate to officially enter the 2016 Presidential race. He will hold a series of events around Iowa next week. On Wednesday, Cruz will hold an event with Congressman Rod Blum at 7:15 p.m. in Dubuque. On Thursday, he will hold events at 11:30 a.m. in Cedar Falls and 2:30 p.m. in Cedar Rapids.
- Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania will join Congressman David Young for a luncheon on April 9 to discuss energy policy. The event will be at 11:30 a.m. at the World Food Prize Hall.
- Perry will also join Young for a fundraising event at the Council Bluffs Pizza Ranch on April 8, at 5:30 p.m.
- Santorum will speak at the monthly meeting of the Bull Moose Club on April 8, at noon. The meeting will be held at the Des Moines Embassy Club in the Ruan Center and the cost is $20.
- Santorum will also participate in the Dallas County GOP Speaker Series on April 8 at 5:30 p.m. The event will be held at the West Des Moines Marriott and tickets are available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky will hold a rally on April 10, at 10:00 a.m. The rally will take place at the Iowa Memorial Union on the University of Iowa campus in Iowa City.