Transportation funding proposals introduced
February 12, 2015
The Iowa Senate and House introduced bills and had initial meetings on legislation to address Iowa’s infrastructure funding needs. Senate Study Bill 1168, and its partner bill House Study Bill 129, do the following:
- Increase the fuel tax by 10 cents without a phase-in
- Limit the term and amount of indebtedness for local governments related to transportation projects
- Increase fees for overweight vehicle permits and trip charges (i.e. wind blades)
- Extend the renewable fuels differential by 10 years
- Provide a biofuels differential for B11.
- Establish a legislative review of biofuels distribution percentage
- State that the legislative intent is to address critical access roads
The bill is expected to move through the process quickly. Several groups have already registered in favor of the legislation and you can see all registrations here.