Health Care Disruptors To Watch
December 14, 2018 | Healthcare in Iowa
There is a realignment afoot in health care. Competition within the industry, along with new competitors from outside the industry, are all disrupting the status quo. Let’s take a look at a few.
- New Entrants – Think Amazon, Google or others. While breaking into health care is hard, incumbents can be shackled by historic mindsets and may find it difficult to adapt. Watch for new entrants into the supply chain or a new technology or approach with a distinct patient population to help create footholds.
- Technology – New technology, applications, uses and the amount of data available, if it can be harnessed, will revolutionize treatment and care delivery. While incumbents don’t necessarily need to be first-movers, they should determine their long-term strategy or risk being left behind in an increasingly competitive market.
- Mergers/Acquisitions – So much vertical (let alone horizontal) integration is happening. While intriguing, integration is difficult. Watch for ones that leverage each firm’s uniqueness to create a synergy that drives new value.
- New Medical, Drug Innovations – Think CRISPR, blockbuster drugs or genomics. The potential for advancing care or developing cures will be breathtaking when those materialize. As innovations continue though, each new one will drive the cost issue further forward.
- New Payment Models – There is activity in this space already, but not at scale. Being held accountable for outcomes/cost will further take root. Government health care programs, like Medicare, are a good place to watch for emerging models.
- Consumer as a Disrupter! Imagine a world where patients demand more—more price transparency, more control over medical records, more convenience and lower costs. All will play a role in the consumer mindset of the future.
This is a condensed version of a CLA HI2 blog post. Read the full post at: http://blogs.claconnect.com/healthcareinnovation/health-care-disruptors-to-watch/